5 c. sliced rhubarb
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. thin-rolled oats
1/2 c. melted butter
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 T. + 1 t. cornstarch
1 t. vanilla
1. Wash, trim, and chop the rhubarb.
2. Preheat the oven to 350-375*.
3. Mix the crust ingredients. Press 3/4 of this mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an 8x8 baking dish. Dump the rhubarb into this crust and shake the dish to even it out in the crust.
4. In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, sugar and cornstarch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil, whisking until thickened. Add the salt and vanilla.
5. Pour the sauce over the rhubarb, and sprinkle with the reserved crust mixture.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until rhubarb is cooked.
7. Let cool for 2-3 hours to allow the sauce to cool and rethicken. Serve with vanilla ice cream.